Are there other education benefits besides TA/NCPACE that are available for Sailors?
Yes! Sailors are highly encouraged to pursue other learning opportunities to include:
- College Level Examination Program / DSST (CLEP/DSST) exams; earn college credit for free through these programs to get closer to your degree
- Earning workforce credentials through participation in the Department of Labor’s USMAP program
- Licensing and credentialing opportunities through the Navy COOL program; credentialing opportunities are available for every rate in the Navy; professional credentials/certificates are highly sought after in the civilian sector
- Online Academic Skills Course / College Placement Skills Training (OASC/CPST)
- Scholarship opportunities; some are specific for active duty members
Additionally, service members are highly encouraged to apply for federal financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Many Sailors, especially E5 and below can qualify for Pell Grants which do not have to be paid back. Sailors should also consider state financial aid and scholarships.
If you would like more information about these programs, please contact the NCVEC at 833-330-6622. Select option 3 for Education & Training, then option 1 for Navy TA & Counseling.
NOTE: This article is in reference to FY19 TA funding shortage (NAVADMIN 114/19).